Thursday, May 07, 2009

Many Visions

I am not sure where this "thought" will take me, but as I was having my walk this morning, I did some more reflection about the current conflict in TEC and the Anglican Communion.  It seems fairly clear that the "sides" in this current debate have different visions of themselves, God and the church.  Inasmuch as these visions guide us as we walk, it is inevitable that we will walk in different ways and different directions.  The only practical solution that I can see, is to allow those with different visions to be guided by those visions and to walk in the directions and ways that those visions lead them.  For those whose vision is of a "Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever" whose vision guides them to preserve the "deposit of faith" as they have received it, they must do as that vision compels them to do.  For those of us who hear the voice of the Spirit calling us to full inclusion, openness and exploration of the many faces of the life of the Spirit, we must walk in the way that this vision compels us as well.  The best we might hope for is that, even if we do not walk in lock step and in each other's footsteps, we may still share the road together as civil companions, if not as "husband and wife."  We may still converse and point out to each other the sights that we see.   If our roads divide, then perhaps we may still say farewell with civility and hope that our paths may converge again after a time, as we surely do not know where all paths and roads lead.  Too metaphorical?  Probably, but metaphor may be the only way to cope with a reality that is too painful too experience emotionally and to "contrary" to experience logically. 

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.


Jeffrey Shy
"Visions in Arizona?"
J

No comments: